View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sep 02 2014, 4:06 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Books & Articles 
Orbweaver

Post Books & Articles
I've recently been digging into some of my old books on the future of technology, society and space flight and I've realised that they are almost certainly out of date now. (Some of them are heading for a decade old)

Any suggestions for books or articles to update my collection?

CT

Mar 27 2008, 8:47 am
Wolf Spider

I slept on this last night. I'm out of touch myself. I would suggest starting with magazines like Scientific American or its British equivalent and follow whatever captures your fancy.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Mar 28 2008, 9:56 am
SF Creator

I'm kind of in the same boat. I've normally been keeping track of things through RSS feeds to places like LiveScience and stuff like that. The main problem is that things move so damn fast in the scientific arena these days, it seems like a science book is almost obsolete before it comes off of the printing press

Mar 28 2008, 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
Wolf Spider

You know ... there was a manga (and feature animated film) that gave a picture of future technology pretty well. "Ghost in the Shell" by Masamune Shirow.

Ken

Mar 28 2008, 10:13 pm
SF Creator

I tell you one that I've been following lately...http://grinding.be/

It's part of the resources for Doctor Sleepless, and there always seems to be a lot of interesting stuff here...another thing I've been following for a while now is called "Signs of Witness." http://signsofwitness.com/

Mar 28 2008, 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Wolf Spider

This is one I check up on about once a week: http://www.sciencedaily.com/

I also check on this one about once a month: http://www.livescience.com/

Mostly, though, I just read bits of history that capture my interest. Since I've started having health issues (something about not getting any younger) I've found my interest in science ebbing while my interest in well written scifi, pulp (The Shadow), and murder mysteries has increased. Ah well ...

Ken

Mar 28 2008, 11:40 pm
Orbweaver

You know ... there was a manga (and feature animated film) that gave a picture of future technology pretty well. "Ghost in the Shell" by Masamune Shirow.

Ken

Heh, Got it and the sequel. Another good one, though a lot darker in places, is Appleseed (The new version).

Cheers for the links. Grinding and LiveScience look pretty good.

CT

Mar 29 2008, 2:22 am
Wolf Spider

There's a second "new" Appleseed out, produced by John Woo. It's called Appleseed Ex Machina - I haven't watched it yet but it's supposed to be very good.

Ken

Mar 29 2008, 6:33 pm
SF Creator

There's a second "new" Appleseed out, produced by John Woo. It's called Appleseed Ex Machina - I haven't watched it yet but it's supposed to be very good.

Ken

I remember the first Appleseed being pretty good, I haven't caught the new one yet.

Mar 29 2008, 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]