View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sep 02 2014, 8:57 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Clairvoyance or Clairsentience? 
Orbweaver

Post Clairvoyance or Clairsentience?
So is Ian displaying Clairvoyance (seeing at a distance) or Clairsentience (Seeing the past) when he could sense tunnels, trains and stonework out by the memorial?

And does anyone else get a Fremen vibe off him from the last panel in todays (14/03/08) comic?

CT

Mar 14 2008, 1:12 pm
SF Creator

Clairvoyance was what I was thinking with this circumstance, even though there is a probability based precog running around (The Dweller)

And as for the Fremen....I must confess that I have only read the first Dune novel, and I wanted to pound my head into a wall at how ponderous a writer Herbert was ;)

Mar 15 2008, 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Orbweaver

If it clairvoyance, presumably via a network of nanites, then just how widespread is the network? And is it a network that Ian is building unconciously or is he tapping into an older one?

I love all the questions that this comic raises. :D

I'm a great fan of Dune. But the quality of the books decrease in proportion to their position in the series. By the time you hit the most recent ones that have been written I dropped out of it.

CT

Mar 16 2008, 10:24 am
Wolf Spider

Are the nanites also responsible for the other abilities?

It's been quite a few years since I've read Dune - and I may be wrong - but I seem to remember the Fremen practicing spice-induced precognition.

About the only writer I've enjoyed that actually produced a "world" that gets more interesting in each book is Terry Pratchett. Everyone else seems to have a compulsion to explain or explain away every little thing or contradiction. Phooey.

Ken

Mar 18 2008, 7:46 pm
SF Creator

Are the nanites also responsible for the other abilities?
Everyone else seems to have a compulsion to explain or explain away every little thing or contradiction. Phooey.

Ken

Some of the abilities are nanite based, others aren't.

And as for a compulsion to explain...I had a similar conversation with a webcomic author/artist once. She was concerned about leaving loose ends, and not tying everything off neatly. I remember telling her to leave it alone.

She was quiet for a sec, and then asked me why...I told her to leave it alone because life never resolves neatly, and that there was always a loose end or a contradiction somewhere. Life is a mess, so you can be forgiven if every little thing doesn't come perfectly together.

Somethings in Requiem will never be explained, or be left to the imagination of the readers...just like in life :)

Mar 18 2008, 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Wolf Spider

There are always contradictions where different view points are presented. With this many characters presenting this many "looks" at the world, there have to be differences and phenomonon that are unexplained and unexplainable. Just like in real life.

By the way, your comments are similar to those made by Warren Ellis regarding his Planetary series. Your story is much more complex and, quite frankly, more fun.

Ken

Mar 19 2008, 10:12 am
SF Creator

Some more thoughts....
There are some things that will be explained...frankly, 'cause I owe it to people to explain them.

The Clocktowers for instance, I had to explain them...I know that a number of people have been waiting for more than 15 years for an explanation for them. Heh, if I ducked out on that one, I guarantee that I would have people marching on my home with torches and pitchforks.

The ship underneath Erech? There have been some pieces sprinkled here and there...with some of the stuff from Tunnelrunners may give you some ideas on what was going on there. But things may never get spoken clearly on the subject.

The idea of Requiem was to do it like a documentary in a lot of ways....do the lighting like it would be in the real world (not all perfectly illuminated and 360 degress around the subject), and it all had to be from the peoples perspective. Let the reader make their own judgements on things from what the camera shows them.

The one thing I wish I could do with this is to have multiple Requiems going on in the same day...while Targeter and Quinlan are talking on the balcony, show whats going on in other places at the same time. If I ever can get ahold of the computational resources to do it, trust me: you would get multiple comics in a day (especially when you are dealing with simultaneous events)

Mar 19 2008, 11:12 am
Profile WWW
Wolf Spider

Ken

Mar 19 2008, 1:44 pm
Orbweaver

:)

There are some things that will be explained...frankly, 'cause I owe it to people to explain them.

The Clocktowers for instance, I had to explain them...I know that a number of people have been waiting for more than 15 years for an explanation for them. Heh, if I ducked out on that one, I guarantee that I would have people marching on my home with torches and pitchforks.

Torches and pitchforks you wish. Flamethrowers and automatic weapons more like, and you know I have access. ;)

Mar 19 2008, 6:04 pm
SF Creator

Torches and pitchforks you wish. Flamethrowers and automatic weapons more like, and you know I have access. ;)[/quote]

Understand completely....

But the Clocktowers had to be explained...they are absolutely pivotal to what is to come, even down to one of the Towers destruction towards the tail end of the cycle. But when Requiem was an RPG campaign, there were little clues to the nature of the Towers, I remember mentioning a "network of wiring that throughout the entire structure in a very complicated arrangement, connected to unknown objects within the superstructure of the Tower itself.

Mar 19 2008, 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
Orbweaver

I remember mentioning a "network of wiring that throughout the entire structure in a very complicated arrangement, connected to unknown objects within the superstructure of the Tower itself.[/quote]

Also a few other things. Like being ginormous solar collectors and broadcast power emiters for a few. Others i'm not going to mention right yet just incase of possible spoilers.

Its also nice to know who exactly nuked the tunnels.

Still waiting for more Bellasarious(sp....never could spell this fuggin house name) info. As in, the still human members.

Mar 21 2008, 4:25 pm
SF Creator

One of the other things that we will be doing is showing the inside of the Clocktowers. The main thing that I'm doing right now is trying to figure out just how much I can show at the same time and still have my computer work.

The most ironic thing about the Tunnels (and the Massdriver incident that ended the last House War) was that Vale was the one who did both. It's been mentioned in passing about "Vale the Librarian"....he actually was one, and a pacifist before the whole mess got started in the first place.

Mar 21 2008, 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Orbweaver

How much of the comic is based on the RP game that came before?

We've caught bits and pieces of it from various comments by you and TrevorGraylock but I was never certain if any of the characters in the comic were based on ones that people played.

CT

Mar 22 2008, 5:45 pm
SF Creator

How much of the comic is based on the RP game that came before?

We've caught bits and pieces of it from various comments by you and TrevorGraylock but I was never certain if any of the characters in the comic were based on ones that people played.

CT

Gamewise, things were set hundreds of years in the future, and there are two or three survivors who are involved in the world to come...

Everything that has been appearing here is the backstory, 95% of this stuff the players never even heard of or ran into except in small pieces. Trevor Greylocks character is a descendant of the same family that Vance (from River Crossing is current head of) The Lady of Still Water lake is considered to be an ancient legend. No story characters were PC's in the campaign that was run, though a number of families survived until present day. A lot of what was happening gamewise was unraveling what went before, and dealing with reconstruction and rebuilding....there was a lot of a steam-punk feel to the proceedings.

...you haven't seen anything until you see a group of characters try to navigate an abandoned for centuries shipyard ;)

....or run their asses off from packs of doberman-like dogs that have went feral and hunt in packs. :(

Mar 22 2008, 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]