View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Oct 22 2014, 6:53 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Rewriting the universe 
Wolf Spider

Post Rewriting the universe
Curse my wandering mind ... if Professor Gage can write data to the fabric of reality, he can also delete or over-write data. In just general terms, doesn't this mean that he can write the virus out of existance? :shock:

I'm assuming not, but -- it's something to speculate about.

Thanks,

Ken

Nov 29 2007, 11:23 am
Orbweaver

It probably does. But I don't think he really understands just what it is he does.

The image I get is of a kid who knows just enough about computers to understand that 'format c:\' is a bad command to use, but isn't certain what the other commands are and is pretty sure that just typing them in is a bad way to find out...

CT

Nov 29 2007, 5:21 pm
Wolf Spider

If they're frightened enough, "format c:" may sound pretty good. Just pondering the unlikely and the improbable - which makes Requiem pretty good sci-fi.

Ken

Nov 29 2007, 5:27 pm
Orbweaver

The Prof is a pretty level headed guy. Even if knew how to add or remove data from reality I don't think he would.

Nov 30 2007, 4:55 pm
Wolf Spider

I'm sure you've had to make significant decisions based on inadequate information - I know I did when I was in the Army many years ago. If the professor felt he had no viable alternatives, what would he do? If it was a choice between the end of the world and possibly salvaging it, I know I would take the chance - and I'd bet you would too. No reason to believe he wouldn't also. Of course, we are assuming that he's the only one who can do that. From what has been said so far, I believe that there are more who can do this. As Terry Pratchett once noted: it may take a hundred years before someone reaches the top of the mountain. Within a couple of years of that feat, grandmothers will be having tea at the summit on a regular basis. Once it is known that it is possible to use reality in that fashion, people almost as smart as Gage will be able to do it too - and what's their threshold of fear and desperation? His comments indicated that he didn't work in isolation, so we can't assume that he's the only one. It's too unlikely.

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings.

Ken

Dec 01 2007, 1:05 am
Orbweaver

The ramblings are what makes things fun. :)

Gage might do if he felt he had no other alternative but that is pushing him pretty far.

I think you might be right about others messing about. Another question is how big an operation would it be to rewrite everything?
I think I remember the comic stating a while back that all the Previous people had to gather together into the cities and that it was a major project, that suggests that the range on a single instance of it is not that great.

Though if you screw up big time and create a black hole on the planet then range is fairly irrelavant I guess.

CT

Dec 01 2007, 5:32 am
SF Creator

The ramblings are what makes things fun. :)

Gage might do if he felt he had no other alternative but that is pushing him pretty far.

I think you might be right about others messing about. Another question is how big an operation would it be to rewrite everything?
I think I remember the comic stating a while back that all the Previous people had to gather together into the cities and that it was a major project, that suggests that the range on a single instance of it is not that great.

Though if you screw up big time and create a black hole on the planet then range is fairly irrelavant I guess.

CT

Transferrals were done with everybody gathered together, but it was done as much for a religious/societal reason. Plus it required a lot less energy to do it close together.

One of the things that is coming up is a gathering of the scientists that have been introduced/mentioned throughout the comic....and a project that is on the scale of the Manhattan Project. :)

Dec 01 2007, 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Wolf Spider

Ken

Dec 01 2007, 8:08 pm
Orbweaver

Would I do it to save the world if I could.

No. My opinion is this. The world is in the state it is due to the natural order. Humans are part of that natural order. If they mess with stuff they deserve what they get. I'm just very cynical though.

Since we kind of got a mini-spoiler I'll let you in on my thinking, on Gage, from before.

He is a terminal cancer patient who has come to terms with his mortality. I don't think he is scared of the end for himself but for the others he cares about. I also belive he a very logical and practical person, not driven by emotion. I don't think he would risk screwing it up any worse even if he had a chance to save the day.

Dec 03 2007, 6:54 pm
Wolf Spider

I'm an accountant - and you don't get a lot more logical and practical than that (it's built into the profession). I'm also a cancer patient (Not terminal!). In my darkest days, if someone had told me that the world was going to end and I had a 50% chance of saving it and my loved ones I'd do it. In Gages' position, I'd already be doing the calculations just in case. As a last hope and a million to one chance (anyone read Terry Pratchett?).

Just me - you may very well be right. I don't really identify with Prof Gage, so I have a difficult time anticipating what his actions are going to be in any given situation. He almost acts out of character at times. Very difficult character.

Thanks for letting me ramble,

Ken

Dec 03 2007, 7:08 pm
Orbweaver

What is it about this site attracting accountants?
I guess we just have similar mentalities.

There is one other thing we need to remember about Gage though. He Was a cancer patient. It suddenly cleared up about the same time as his eyes changed colour...

Which was a million to one chance in itself.
But then million to one chances come off nine time out of ten. :wink:

I don't think Gage would do unless he felt he had no other choice. He has made comments that when he was younger he would blindly just invent things and experiment to see if it could be done. But since then he has realised that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do.
Which is someway I feel makes him like some of the survivor groups. The ones who didn't take part in the big experiment to uplift everybody.

Good to see all the discussion though. :D We must be giving Maxim hours of amusmnet with our fumbling for the truth.

CT

Dec 04 2007, 8:40 am
Orbweaver

If you knew Max like I do you would already know that 80% of his charecters are difficult. He has a rare skill at creating chatecter depth.

Dec 04 2007, 6:22 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 12 posts ]