View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Jul 24 2014, 3:24 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Saturday, the 22 of September 
SF Creator

Post Saturday, the 22 of September
Just a heads up to everybody who may be interested...

We're going to be having another preview from the upcoming Requiem graphic novel. So be sure to stop by and check out the revamped introduction to Julia Wells.

Sep 17 2007, 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Orbweaver

Is there currently a timescale for the graphic novel?

CT

Sep 18 2007, 2:15 pm
SF Creator

I'm hoping for a spring release for the first one.

What is taking so long is that

1. The earliest files were done in Bryce 5, and since I am no longer using it, a lot of things have to be redone from scratch. They look a whole hell of a lot better now, but things are taking some time.

2. Nothing was originally done in 300dpi print format.

Later files are in a form that can be easily redone...and of course everything from the point of Quinlan being in the tank is of course in the new format.

God, if I knew then what I know now...

Sep 19 2007, 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Wolf Spider

Just out of curiosity, how many pages do you need to redo. Am I correct in assuming it's in the hundreds?

Thanks,

Ken

Sep 19 2007, 2:10 pm
SF Creator

Of these, the first 300-400 comics need set's completely rebuilt from scratch because of software changes.

After that everything that has been done has been archived...when it comes to everything for the last year, all of it was done in the same software that I am using now, so it is just a simple matter of reopening things rerendering them real quick, and then adjusting dialogue size.

Once, I'm through the first 300-400, things will start to fly...and after the 1032 marker, I'll just be able to release a book every 100 comics or so, which is hopefully going to be the target size of the book.

For where it is going to be published? I'm seriously looking at Amazons Create Space right now, especially with allowing me to maintain complete control of all my rights, plus free ISBN numbers to boot. I can have a proof in my hands 3-4 days after submission, which is an idea I really like the idea of.

http://www.createspace.com/ is where it is located at...scope it out, I know some other people will find it of interest as well.

Sep 19 2007, 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
Wolf Spider

I've did a quick check of CreateSpace.com - looks like a good deal. Are the costs in line with the other printers/publishers you've looked at? If so, it would definitely be the way to go.

Sep 19 2007, 11:23 pm
Orbweaver

Pretty much perfect for this kind of venture as there is no real risk to you as far as I can tell.
The only killer is going to be the cost of all the colour pages.

But since the $ is so weak to the £ at the moment I don't mind. :wink:

CT

Sep 20 2007, 7:00 am
SF Creator

You know, I honestly thought about going B&W for this venture for a couple of seconds...then I decided that there was no way in hell I gonna do it...;)

But yeah, the Amazon setup does appear to be the best option...the thing that appeals to me is the integration with Amazon's storefront setup.

Sep 21 2007, 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Wolf Spider

The preview looks wonderful. I assume the new pages are going to include some improvements given the better software you're now using. Do you expect much variation from the originals?

Thanks,

Ken

Sep 25 2007, 10:29 am
SF Creator

The preview looks wonderful. I assume the new pages are going to include some improvements given the better software you're now using. Do you expect much variation from the originals?

Thanks,

Ken

A lot of the same types of settings for places, but I've been in a hyper-realism kick since I've started doing these so that's one definite variation. A number of setups (like the Erech city streets) that have similar camera angles to the original, but the backdrop is entirely new.

Mainly things being redone all over the place....I just got done with the remix of the Iyesta Observatory and it's almost unrecognizable, and one or two more character redesigns as well...(Jessica Tindal and Clarence Gage)

Compare that to

Most everybody is going to be staying the same...I'm only going to be fixing the characters that have been an absolutel pain in the ass to deal with, and Jessica Tindal (while I like the character) is definitely in that category.

Sep 25 2007, 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Wolf Spider

It looks as though the newer software will allow you to be more expressive in certain areas - especially outdoor scenes.

On a side note - if I was the head of House Bellisarious and my Minister of War abruptly fled - with companions! - for parts unknown I would launch my war immediately. I would have to assume that she was going to tell someone what's going on, as well as my strategy. My question is - why hasn't this happened?

Thanks,

Ken

Sep 25 2007, 10:38 pm
Orbweaver

Oh yeah. I can't wait to see what these look like in the book. There is always something about having them in hard copy and being able to flick back and forth that is just satisfying.

As for the war you are assuming the Head of Bellisarius is still sane and rational.

Someone who follows an 'Angels' orders to warp his whole household and unleash the deadliest plague known to man may not be entirely with it anymore.

But I'm not sure we will be seeing many of the 'human' members of Bellisarius now. If I was a paranoid megalomaniac I reckon they would be first on my list. Get the ones I can do ehle my other fiorces try to stem any information leak.

CT

Sep 26 2007, 1:31 am
Wolf Spider

That's an interesting answer - but it doesn't fit. If he's paranoid, he's going to launch his attack ready or not. If he's a megalomaniac, he's even more certain to do so. History tells us that this is the case in virtually every instance.

After giving the question some thought, however, it is probable that he needs input from his "Angel" before doing something like that. It's a small logical hole in a fascinating and solid story. By the way, Warren Ellis left similar holes in his Planetary series - and he refuses to discuss them at all. Thank you for at least talking about it.

Keep up the great work!

Ken

Sep 26 2007, 8:37 pm
SF Creator

That's an interesting answer - but it doesn't fit. If he's paranoid, he's going to launch his attack ready or not. If he's a megalomaniac, he's even more certain to do so. History tells us that this is the case in virtually every instance.

After giving the question some thought, however, it is probable that he needs input from his "Angel" before doing something like that. It's a small logical hole in a fascinating and solid story. By the way, Warren Ellis left similar holes in his Planetary series - and he refuses to discuss them at all. Thank you for at least talking about it.

Keep up the great work!

Ken

One hint is http://requiem.spiderforest.com/?comic_id=213

Another set of pieces that have to do with this is the comic from September 11-17, 2006

Other things are coming with him as well....as for our man Bellisarius, though...I think about him quite a bit in my idle hours...there are quite a few human members of the House still out there...they are needed in the days ahead. Most of them are Sleeper type agents and the information they receive about the interior of the House is tightly controlled....

I can't wait until we can get Bellisarius moved over into the Carrara software and show him off again the way he first appeared. Unfortunately, it is impossible to do with the way things are set up right now, simply because of the way the program works...(though there may be a way around that *fingers crossed*)

Oh, and did anybody out there catch when I said everything was going to end?

Sep 26 2007, 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]